Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Email from June 21, 2011

Hello everyone and sorry for the delay in updates. Days have been 
blending together and I've been pretty exhausted driving back/forth to 
Boston and spending the nights at the hospital.
 
Scott is doing well after day three of chemo. He had some issues with 
the pain meds causing intense hallucinations so they changed them 
today and he's been zonked out all night. He has also been having 
really bad hiccups and they've tried to cure them with different 
things and nothing seems to work. Oddly tonight, as soon as the nurse 
gave the new pain meds they stopped, so we may be on to something.... 
(imagine having hiccups straight for 48 hours, poor guy!!!!)
 
It is confirmed that there are nodules in his lungs and some in his 
liver which has caused it to swell pretty large. He is also very 
swollen in his surgical area. He's been experiencing serious fluid 
buildup in his legs and it's being monitored. He's on blood thinners 
in case there are some blood clots and I believe tomorrow they are 
going to see if they can work around chemo and do some tests to see 
what's going on. There are still some tests they have to do like to 
check his stomach once the swelling goes down. We are taking it day 
by day.
 
We were told that on day three he would start to feel the nausea and 
sleepiness and such symptoms of the chemo. Luckily he has not been 
experiencing any nausea yet, and I pray to God that continues. He is 
so strong and he is surrendering to the treatment bravely and I'm so 
proud of him. I admire his grace through all of this.
 
If chemo goes well the next two days, he will go home on thursday 
(possibly). There are other complications that could arise in the next 
few days and they need to keep a close eye on him. From there he will 
be 3 weeks off at home and then come back to Boson for 5 days on. That 
will continue 3-4 times and then he will be rescanned. Before he's 
discharged he'll receive an immunity shot but he will be susceptible 
germs so when you plan your visits, please make sure you are healthy 
and haven't been around germs that you can spread to Scott that could 
compromise his health.
 
I think that's the best I can do for an update for now. It's been a 
long week I'll tell ya... and there is just no such thing as sleeping 
in hospitals. Today i got to go home and sleep on the hammock for a 
while which was really nice. I'm doing the night shifts and his 
amazing family is doing the day shifts. He is surely loved (and you 
all have made that obvious with your texts, phone calls, facebook 
messages, cards, etc) I apologize I have not been able to connect with 
you all one on one but I really am trying to put all my love and 
energy into Scott right now!
 
If you have any questions please write back! I hope you're all well, 
and once this craziness is over we're going to get together to 
celebrate!
 
Oh, one more thing! We're all wearing the yellow LIVESTRONG arm bands 
in support of Scott. I believe you can buy them at Bobs for $1. Once 
he is cured, we will all add the survivor band, which ironically is 
Scotty's favorite color: purple!
 
And as if I need to remind you, PRAY, PRAY, PRAY! He's got a tough 
road ahead of him but he's going to do it, he needs the power of 
prayer and positive thoughts, so keep them flowing. Send me anything 
you want me to tell him, a joke, a picture, anything! and when he's 
coherent I'll share it with him. I know you all want to help in some 
way, but just thinking of him, praying and envisioning healing is what 
he truly needs!
 
peace, x, o, jax
 
please pass on to your own distribution lists or to anyone i 
accidentally forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment